- Two joint events:
16th Castle Meeting - New Trends on Paleo, Rock and Environmental Magnetism
Dates: 10 – 16 June 2018, Chęciny, Poland
Short course on rock magnetism applied to structural geology
Dates 7 - 10 June 2018 Chęciny, Poland
Participants 20 undergraduate / postgraduate students
Both meetings are the cooperative event organized by
and the Faculty of Geology, University of Warsaw (FG UW)
They are held at the European Centre for Geological Education (ECEG) at Chęciny in the vicinity of Kielce.
The "Biennial Castle Meetings" New Trends on Rock, Palaeo and Environmental Magnetism, held for 30 years, have become a success story attracting researchers from all over the world. The relaxing ambience enables easy and intense exchange of existing knowledge and insights into new trends in palaeo-/archaeomagnetism, magnetostratigraphy, rock and environmental magnetism and adjacent disciplines.
The Castle meetings are thus an attracting place, motivating and supporting young generation of scientists. Therefore young researchers, such as PhD students and PostDocs, are strongly encouraged to seize this opportunity and present the results of their studies.
Therefore, we have no special preference and original contributions dealing with any of the following topics are welcome:
- Rock magnetism and its physical background;
- Rock magnetism applied to activities with potential economic interest (e.g., mineralization processes and hydrocarbon exploration);
- Palaeomagnetism and dating (archaeomagnetism, palaeointensity, secular variation, magnetostratigraphy, excursions…);
- Palaeomagnetism and/or marine magnetic anomalies applied to tectonics;
- Coupling between palaeomagnetic data and geodynamo models;
- Environmental magnetism;
- Magnetic record of global changes;
- Rock magnetic fabrics – new frontiers;
- New Techniques and approaches;
- Assessment of the quality of the palaeomagnetic and rock-magnetic data;
- Abstract submission (web page based) - starts 29th January 2018; ends 10th March 2018 (extended!)
- Application for Short course - starts 29th January 2018; ends ends 10th March 2018 (extended!)
- Notification of regular abstract acceptance 20th March 2018
- Notification of acceptance for the short course 20th March 2018
- Definite registration (web page based) starts 25th March 2018
- Definite registration and all payments done by 20th April 2018
Registration fee covers:
- Icebreaker & welcome dinner on Sunday 10th of June;
- full board from Monday to breakfast on Saturday;
- full day excursion on Wednesday 13th June;
- all social events included in the program;
- farewell dinner on Friday 15th of June;
- bus transfers (including bus transportation from Cracow to Chęciny on June 10th afternoon and back return on June 16th morning);
- scientific program expenses including meeting materials (e.g. USB key with abstracts, conference bag);
- additional program for accompanying persons.
490 € Students 360 € Accompanying Persons (adult)
The registration does not cover room expenses (lodging fee)
Lodging fee – covers 6 nights room expenses
One bed in double air conditioned room (limited accessibility) 90 € Single air conditioned room (very limited accessibility) 180 € One bed in double room regular 75 € Single room regular 150 €
This fee concerns students who have registered for the pre-Castle short-course.
Student 150 €
Following items are covered by the short course fee: full board & lodging from the evening of 7th June, 2018 to the afternoon of 10th of June, 2018; Bus transfers from Cracow airport to Chęciny.
Additional local geological field trips can be arranged before (9-10 June) and after the meeting (16-17 June) upon individual interest. Details will be discussed in each individual case.